The 1,068 square foot common house is a simple but extremely flexible building at the center of the site with 3 primary uses: ground floor gathering hall, small kitchen, and two upstairs guest rooms with bathroom and separate entrance.
The main interior gathering space can be set up for various uses, including:
- Group meetings and shared meals
- Music performance, dance parties and other social gatherings
- Exercise and yoga
- Movie projection
- Books and toys for kids
Covered patio areas just outside the common building can be set up for:
- Picnics and barbecues
- Socializing with neighbors
The common house contains a large and small guest room upstairs with a shared full bath for out-of-town guests. These spaces are private and cozy, and can be used by residents to host friends, family, or touring speakers. Hosts are responsible for their guests and for making sure the guest room(s) are promptly cleaned and ready for future guests. There is a nominal per-night charge to cover basic costs (heating, water, maintenance…) associated with the guest rooms. The larger guest room can double as a secondary common space so two group activities happen simultaneously in the common house building.
Shared green space
The shared outdoor portions of the site offer both places for kids to play and for adults to relax quietly without commotion. For the kids (and rambunctious adults) there’s an always-changing medley of swings, play equipment, and maybe a tree fort. For adults (and quiet kids), there are hammocks and patio furniture for chilling out.
Additional shared common amenities:
- A 4,400 square-foot community garden
- Bike storage rooms plus covered, lockable wall racks
- A central courtyard, anchored by a magnificent Oregon oak tree, serves as a community gathering space or play field
- 19 existing trees will are preserved, including a 48” oak, a 32” deodar cedar, a stand of fir trees, and a small grove of hardwoods
- Extensive new edible landscaping, including espalier fruit trees and berry hedges
- Bee hives and perhaps down the road some chickens and small ruminants for mowing our grassy areas